Friday, February 15, 2008

letter to Tim o' Brien author of Ambush

35-98 79Th st Apt #2h
Jackson Heights, NYC, 11372
Phone # (718)-333-4636
Fax # (718)-333-4637

Dear speaker

After reading this narrative I have realized that I know what you have felt during all these time. I understand how it felt to keep a secret from some one you love and suffer. I know that you want to tell your daughter the truth about what happened that night in my khe and come clean about your past and at the same time you don't want to tell her the truth because you are afraid that she is going to hate you for what you did.

I admire you for fighting for your country. I am not saying that you did the right thing by killing that young person with the grenade. I mean he might have done the same thing to you if the situation was reversed. I admire you for admitting that what you did was wrong. I admire you admitting that you feel guilty for what you did . I know that you really didn't want to kill that man but you did what you thought was necessary. I admire you for making a hard decision to possibly save many people lives.

While reading the narrative many question came into my mind. Some of these question may seem a little personal but I want to ask them anyway. If you could go back in time to the moment that you killed this man would you change your decision about whether to kill this guy or not. Another question would be do you think that the war you were fighting for had the wrong reason? Another question is that Did you tell your daughter about what happened now that she is older and more mature?


Please reply to this mail in the mailing address. Thank you very much for your cooperation. I am looking forward to your reply.

sincerely,
Nahida Akter


No comments: