Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wiki-cabulary from Olaudah Equiano Narrative

Wiki-cabulary: i.e. all vocabulary words and appropriate definitions this will be ongoing, but you will need to include the title of the work for us to easily identify where to find these words

"To that Heaven which protects the weak from the strong, I commit the care of your innocence and virtues, if they have not already received their full reward, and if your youth and delicacy have not long since fallen victims to the violence of the African trader, the pestilential stench of a Guinea ship, the seasoning in the European colonies, or the lash and lust of a brutal and unrelenting overseer."

Pestilential - annoyingly troublesome.

"This produced copious perspirations, so that the air soon became unfit for respiration, from a variety of loathsome smells, and brought on a sickness among the slaves, of which many died, thus falling victims to the improvident avarice, as I may call it, of their purchasers."

Avarice - desire for wealth

"Often did I think many of the inhabitants of the deep much more happy than myself. I envied them the freedom they enjoyed, and as often wished I could change my condition for theirs."

Inhabitants - One that inhabits a place, especially as a permanent resident

"Every circumstance I met with served only to render my state more painful, and heighten my apprehensions, and my opinion of the cruelty of the whites."

Apprehension - suspicion or fear of future trouble

"The noise and clamour with which this is attended, and the eagerness visible in the countenances of the buyers serve not a little to increase the apprehensions of the [Page 87] terrified Africans, who may well be supposed to consider them as the ministers of that destruction to which they think themselves devoted. In this manner, without scruple, are relations and friends separated, most of them never to see each other again."

Clamour - loud uproar, as from a crowd of people

No comments: